Question:
What is the best type of puppy for a family with 3 kids under 10?
PJ
2005-11-25 10:00:38 UTC
Were looking for a kid-friendly dog that wont grow too big and will get along withour other dog, a lab/corgi mix.
Three answers:
Ted Drake
2005-11-29 15:02:07 UTC
Don't get a terrier for a group of small children! You need a dog that will put up with abuse. Labs, beagles, poodles, and border collies are good choices.

If you get a herding dog, they'll help you keep the kids from wandering away. A border collie would be perfect for this. They're smart enough to do the kid's homework as well.
dukkie27
2005-11-25 21:23:42 UTC
Do you just want to know about puppies? or do you plan to keep your pet after it's grown up and not as cute any more? Almost any puppy is great for kids, and of course it depends on what kinds of dog you like too. So if you plan to keep your pet, here are my recommendations...

big dogs: Golden Retriever or Labrador

very friendly with kids even when they're older

medium dogs: Spaniels

very playful -- but they pee when excited

small dogs: Terrier (Yorkie/Westie)

easy to take anywhere

to avoid: American Eskimo, German Shepherd, Pit Bulls ---- these are all pretty cool dogs, and i've owned some that would have been great for a family -- but in general they can have traits that aren't good for kids.

I've owned and trained many dogs (from 8 lbs to 110 lbs, mutts and purebreeds) -- and have close contact with many other dogs at other families. We currently have a mutt (chihuaua/spaniel/terrier) who is absolutely adorable and great with our two kids (both under 2 yrs).
Guru Sharma Prasad
2005-11-25 18:26:30 UTC
The most family friendly dog what I would recommend is a labrador retriever:

http://pets.yahoo.com/pets/dogs/breed/labrador_retriever

They are easy to train, not overly aggressive, and are great with kids and older people. You common find them used as guide dogs, rescue dogs, and just plain fun dogs.

In any case, stay away from fighting or attack dogs.